I had my first test, which went alright. My classes have been going well. I'm enjoying my Grammar and Phonetics classes. Phonetics has shown me that I have muscles in my mouth that I did not know about. I saw a large student protest to do with the whole "changing the age of retirement" fiasco here. And yes, the strike is still going on.
About two weeks ago, I bought a baguette sandwich close to St. Michel and ate it beside the Seine. I watched tour boats go by and smiled as I thought about tourists doing touristy things. Then I wondered to myself when exactly it had become normal to be sitting in Paris, eating a baguette sandwich, and smiling at "those tourists."
I went to OFII to finish the visa process. Now that step is done, I have to wait until December when I get to have a medical check-up and then, as long as I am deemed healthy enough, I will finally get my titre de long sejour (long-stay visa). It's a joyful thing, living in another country (sarcasm intended).
I was supposed to go to Annecy and Geneva this past weekend, but that did not happen. My train was cancelled, thanks to the strike. Instead I stayed in Paris. I did a whole lot of nothing on the Saturday. Sunday I went to church and climbed up Montmartre to see Paris stretched out in front of me, and to see Sacre Coeur.
Sacre Coeur as we see it from near our residence.
Sacre Coeur up close and an enormous amount of tourists below it.
A part of the view of Paris from Montmartre. Oh, and me, of course.
This week has been normal, filled with classes and whatnot. Normal, except for that fact that it's November already. It seems like last week was September when I was wishing that it would be October so that I would know more of how to live here. Now it's November. Pure craziness. Le temps coule.
I started looking more closely into what I can do during the 4-day long weekend that we have next week. We still need to actually formalize the plans and book trains and hostels, but Erica and I are thinking of going to Belgium. I would like to go to Ypres for November 11; it seemed fitting for Remembrance Day. From there we'll head to Gent and then to Brussels after that. So hopefully that will work and all the trains will work. If so, that will be our weekend!
Blessings,
~Lynette

1 comment:
love this:
About two weeks ago, I bought a baguette sandwich close to St. Michel and ate it beside the Seine. I watched tour boats go by and smiled as I thought about tourists doing touristy things. Then I wondered to myself when exactly it had become normal to be sitting in Paris, eating a baguette sandwich, and smiling at "those tourists."
It's so true!! I had a very similar moment :D
Post a Comment