******************************************************************
It snowed. In Paris. I got to walk around in it. It made me really happy. I kind of wanted to do a "Be happy it's snowing dance," but I didn't, for a couple reasons:
1. I don't know what a "Be happy it's snowing dance" looks like.
2. I don't really do the whole dancing thing.
3. I would make a complete fool of myself and any French person in a 2.3km radius of me (yes, 2.3 km exactly) would look at me with that "that person is insane..." kind of look.
4. Most people looked very cold and some seemed quite miserable, so I don't think the dance would have been very welcomed.
Enough of reasons for not doing a "Be happy it's snowing dance." I did jump up & down briefly when I saw Rachel. She was confused until I explain why I was so excited. It's not like it snowed a lot. However, it's more than I thought we would actually get here, so it makes me quite pleased. Here is about as much as we got, at least when I was out.
The great snowfall as seen from my window.
Motor bike wannabe's "covered" in snow.
In other news, I have the lovely opportunity (sarcasm intended) to do a presentation in class on Friday. It's going to be on Canada. Not a bad topic, eh? :)
Today it was about -2 to -6 degrees or so, at least that's what the weather network told me. In class this morning my professor asked me a question about the weather and I didn't know the answer. She said that it was like the weather today. What is it like out today? she asked me. I said "Il fait froid." (It's cold.) "Cold" is sufficient for -2 to -6, right? (Of course right.) She said, No, more than that. I have her a confused look. She said "glacial" (freezing). I gave her a very funny look. She responded with something like, "Well maybe not for YOU, but it's extremely cold for the French." I smiled, shook my head, and wrote the word down where it was supposed to go. I don't agree with her. Today was not freezing. However, I guess that in relation to what I know IS cold. -20 with a -30 windchill is cold. And someone (like my cousin) from Winnipeg would laugh at that, probably. I guess it's what you become accustomed to.
Happy beginning-of-December!
~Lynette

1 comment:
Lynette,
This made me laugh. The part about it being glacial was quite humorous. I don't remember French people saying that, but I do remember their looks when we went outside without a coat on to go to the eating building when we were on that retreat in Normandy. It was "super froid" that weekend.
Post a Comment