Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week 3

This week has definitely been a week of ups and downs. 


Monday we did a bit of shopping in the afternoon. Mom and Dad called me and it was nice to be able to talk to them for a bit. 


Tuesday we found out the levels that we had been put in for our classes. I found out that I was in the intermediate level, and both Rachel & Erica were in the advanced, which is what we need for our degree. Needless to say, I wasn't the happiest camper that day. I sent an email to Dr. Rusthoven asking what I should do about the level and how I could work to change it. I ate at quiche at a restaurant for the first time. It was a three-cheese quiche, and I liked it up until the end when the cheeses began to be a bit overpowering. But it was still a good choice. I got to talk to Steve and to Abbey that night, which was fantastic. 


Wednesday morning I checked my email and found out that Dr. Rusthoven knew what levels we were in before we did (she had asked our registrar contact here) and had already requested that I be switched into the advanced level. It was already all arranged, and all I had to do was show up to accept it. God is amazing. I found the park that is close to our residence, which means that I also found where everyone runs. There are streets everywhere here, people everywhere, and the sidewalks aren't all very large. So running in the street isn't very nice. The park, however, has fairly large pathways that circle around and around. You can google-map it, if you'd like. You can even drop the little guy down and see it, actually. Just search "Parc Monceau" in Paris. It made me happy to see some green, and I will definitely be returning. Speaking of which, the trees, bushes, grass, everything there is still green. Weird.


Today I had my phonetics "test" to see what class I should be in for that. I am now in a class for anglophones (go figure). I also picked the conférences that I will be in, basically lecture courses, and had my first grammar class. I bought my textbooks, returned to the residence, and then we went and did our laundry. 


Today's firsts: First grammar class, first time doing laundry in Paris, and first time doing laundry in a laundromat.


To my lovely Canadian friends & family: Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy some pumpkin pie and family time for me. We don't get Thanksgiving. The French aren't thankful. Or they don't think they need a day to celebrate being thankful. Or they don't have the history that goes along with the day. Pick whichever reason you like. :) But really, Happy Thanksgiving.


~Lynette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Bois de Boulogne is pretty close to you too? Great park with lots of trails! - it's huge. Just don't go in the evenings/at night!

Post a Comment