Sunday, May 15, 2011

The end is in sight...or is it?

The end.

A story doesn't usually begin this way, although authors sometimes use it as a way to draw people into their story because they're confused and want to understand why they've done what they've done. There's probably a fancy literature-word for that and most likely a much better explanation, but that's what came to mind first, so that's what you get. Anywho, that wasn't really my intention, the whole getting-your-attention-thing. Mostly it's just to state the fact that I'm almost at the end of my stay in Paris. 

To begin with, we'll start by going back just a little ways. Last weekend, James & Jantina visited me (a friend from Redeemer & her husband)! It was really great to see people from home again. We did lots of touristy things, walked a lot (just ask them...), enjoyed time together, ate good food, etc. Here are a few photos:

 
 Père Lachaise Cemetery: one of the most interesting 
and beautiful cemeteries I have ever seen.

 At Trocadero, known as one of the best places to view the tower.

On our walk towards the tower to see it close up, I mentioned something about riding on the carrousel. I had never done that before (not that I remember, at least). Jantina thought it was a good idea; so we did. All of the parents who had put their young girls on there kept looking at us funnily (I know, not a word, but it works best here) as we went around and around and around. We had a good time.

 We took pictures of the tower from underneath and then sat around, waiting for it to get dark enough to get cool night-tower pictures. This is one of the almost-dark pictures. I'm hiding in the right corner. We actually ended up being able to see it "twinkle," but we had to wait until 10:00ish until it was dark enough for them to put on the sparkly lights.

 We found a park that I had seen pictures of from a previous RIF student. It has a man-made waterfall (not bad, eh?), lots of grass and trees, lots of people, and an awesome view of part of the city from up on top of a hill.

It was a nice day and there were kids playing in the water wherever they could find it. What I found strange was that they were all still in their normal clothes; no bathing suits to be seen. Some had stripped down to their underwear! Kids are kids anywhere, I guess.

This month happens to be the last one that I will spend here in Paris. Back in December/January, I received a calendar from my friends as a Christmas present. This is the picture from the  month of May. I added the chocolate, as a suggestion from Erica. See, I mentioned to her that I had 30 chocolates, enough for one per day before I went home, and she said I should make an "advent calendar." So I did. Yum.

 This week is the third week of May. That means that it's almost time to go home. Before that, though, I have 3 conference exams, one phonetics exam, one mega grammar exam and one tiny, stressful oral exam. It's going to be a blast. Exams are always a good way to finish off one's time in a foreign land. I can't really complain too much, though; I chose the student life and exams come with that. On an awesome (and kind of crazy) note, once I finish these exams, I will officially be finished my Bachelor of Arts! 

So the end is in sight. Or is it? The end of my time here in France is in sight. It's a bitter-sweet feeling; I have mixed emotions about it all. However, it's not the end. Inserting cliché here.....the end is just the beginning. It's true, though (hence it becoming a cliché). My time here in France is quickly coming to a close, but it means the beginning of so much else back home. It's the beginning of summer 2011, of a continued discovery of myself once I'm back in my "comfort zone," of continued schooling, of figuring out how to keep in touch with friends from Paris, and the list goes on. This year is ending soon, but there's so much more still ahead. I'm thankful for everything that I've seen and experienced and the people that I have gotten to know while I've been here, and I look forward to whatever and whoever lies ahead.

Blessings,
~Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment