I have been home for approximately 18 days. 2.5 weeks or so. It's another interesting adventure.
My flights went well, no complaints. I arrived in Toronto in good time, made my way quickly through customs, picked up my bags, dropped them off again, found my connection and got onto the next plane. I then took the short flight to Ottawa where I met my parents and my sister. It was pretty perfect timing. They arrived with a couple gifts:
The domestic arrivals area in the Ottawa airport makes for a rather anticlimactic reunion, add on to that 12 hours of early-morning and travel fatigue, and you understand why I didn't seem quite as excited about being home as I thought I would be.
The drive home was really odd for me. I enjoyed chatting with my family, talking about the day, the drive, home, all kinds of things but surprisingly little about France. The weirdness came in the fact that it felt so normal. I didn't quite know what to do about that. It's hard to explain why normality became an oddity, but I'll try. The evening before, Thursday night, I had enjoyed a picnic with some friends by the Eiffel Tower. The next day, I was in Canada, home, back in my "normal life." It was normal to be driving down a highway with my parents in Canada. But there was so much distance between my two days and I just couldn't comprehend it.
Martha, Lynette, Maria. My last night in Paris.
I promised a co-worker last summer that I would get
a picture of me in front of the Eiffel Tower with a beret.
We added a baguette and a cork that we found in the grass.
Mario, Luc, Claire, Lynette, Maria, Adriana.
We had a wonderful bit of time together with lots of laughs and some good food.
It was such a blessing and a pleasure getting to know these friends throughout the year.
I hope that I will be able to see them again some day.
Those pictures are from the Thursday. The first photos are from Friday. Saturday morning, Jessica drove me down to Hamilton where I had the joy of watching friends and classmates graduate, and surprising a few of them! It was so good to be able to see them all again! There were smiles and tears going around. A great big thank you to Jessica for all the driving she did that weekend, just so I could see friends and family. After the graduation, we stayed overnight in Hamilton (thanks to Aunt Liz), attended my church there (my 2nd English service since September, the first being in Venice), and then we headed out to see my older sister and brother-in-law. We had a nice little visit and then headed home, stopping off at my brother & sister-in-law's place for dinner and some time to chat. It was really good seeing (almost) everyone again!
Friends! Lynette, Abbey, Cassie, and Jantina.
Three "generations" of RIF girls. Stephanie, Abbey, Lynette.
Dr. Rusthoven with a few of "her girls."
And that's that. I have been spending quite a bit of time at home over the last few weeks. I have been job searching, sending out resumes, setting up interviews, attending interviews, and hoping to get a job soon. This weekend I get to see Lydia, who is getting married this summer, and meet her fiancé! I also get to see my grandparents and some cousins and other relatives! I'm excited! Sometimes I feel like I'm doing very little, but my mind is often quite busy. It's trying to sort through everything that happened this year, keep memories, think through the cultural changes, figure out who I am now, and how I fit back here at home.
I'm enjoying the view, being at home again. The river has so many different "moods" and it's fascinating to see them change, hour to hour, day to day. Here is one of the more violent ones that we have had somewhat recently when a storm blew in. It was cool to be able to watch it blow up the river; I could hear the rain on the river before I could see it!
The view from the protection of our porch. It was pretty cool.
I think that's the end of my updates. I don't really know what I'm going to do with this space now that I'm finished the France adventure. I guess I'll update it as I feel or as I remember. I apologize if anyone checks this habitually and finds it getting rather boring. I'll do my best to come up with great things to say now and again. :)
As for now, though, I want to say Thank You to those who have kept up with me along my adventure this year. Thanks for the time you have taken to read this blog, for your interest, and your prayers. It's been a bit of a roller coaster, but very good all in all. I miss friends already, and definitely hope to go back sometime to visit. I think what I miss the most is worship at l'Église Évangélique Baptiste de Paris-Centre, also known as 72 rue de Sèvres, along with the amazing people that I met there. I bought a couple music books at the Maison de la Bible before I left, books that I had seen used before at the church. I've been flipping through them randomly while at home, trying out the tunes on our piano here, remembering them, getting pieces stuck in my head, and enjoying the memories. It will be a good while before I figure out how to play those that don't include a left-hand staff, especially because instead of chords, the book uses the French version of do-re-mi to explain what to work with. I have some figuring to do.
Que Dieu vous bénisse.
~Lynette

1 comment:
Good to read, lady! Seems like you've had a pretty busy but successful few weeks back. Keep trucking through the adjustments, know that I'm right there with you. Love always!
Post a Comment