I've been working on a project (a visual journal) for my Teaching Language Arts class. One of the entries is a chapter extension, so taking a chapter from the textbook and extending my learning or discovery of the topic in whatever way that I choose. We were introduced to the wonderful world of Wordle (www.wordle.net) in class, and I decided to use it for this particular entry.
I have chosen Chapter 6: Expanding Academic Vocabulary from our textbook, Literacy in the Middle Grades by Gail E. Tompkins. It explains all sorts of things to do with vocabulary: its use and how to help students grow their vocabularies; it describes word-study concepts such as synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, root words and affixes, and etymologies. I found this particularly interesting, especially in relation to French language-learning. Why is it that we separate our subjects so much when so much overlap is possible? We talk about the fact that repetition helps with memory, so why not repeat concepts between classes? English has antonyms; French has antonyms. What? Really? Woah. Same concept, two classes. Crazy, right? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd be interested in seeing what would happen if the French class and the Language Arts class ran a little more parallel than they do now.
And now...my Wordle image.
Below is the paragraph that I stuck into Wordle to make this image.
I look at Chapter
6 and I wonder if the same principles can be used in a Language Arts
classroom and a French classroom.
I wonder if maybe
the two can help each other with vocabulary acquisition. French and
English. Language Arts. I believe that they are connected.
Foundations in Latin; similar root words and etymologies.
Students need to
learn synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms in each language; why not
study the same concepts in each class at the same time?
Cross-curricular learning. Students gain connections in their
learning, which helps to build connections and nerve passageways for
concepts within the brain.
Language-learning
needs to make sense to students; it needs to have a purpose.
French is taught
with the idea that it is an island, not connected to any other
learning that students do. Language Arts is taught as a means to an
end, making students read and write with seemingly little purpose.
Neither subject is taught with much passion.
What would happen
if teachers became passionate about what they were teaching? What if
they made connections between the disciplines that they teach? Would
students become more passionate? More excited? Would curiosity arise?
Would imagination be sparked? Would they be in awe of the design of
language? Would they find differences amusing? Would they stand in
amazement of their ability to communicate in a multitude of ways?
Would they marvel at the beauty of language?
Play around with Wordle, if you'd like; it's fun, free, and fantastic!
~Lynette

No comments:
Post a Comment