Monday, May 21, 2012

Here I raise my Ebenezer.


 I finished school, that's the big news. It's been 5 years in the making, this section of it. This fall will be the first one in 19 years that I won't be going to school (that includes JK, which wasn't full-time school, but I was in school, so I'm counting it). At this point in time, I have been in school for approximately 83% of my life. And now that's done. It's weird, it's awesome, it's incomprehensible. "Hither by Thy help I've come." More on that next week.  


I was thinking the other day (dangerous, I know) - this time last year, I was still in Paris. I can't believe that was only a year ago, so much has happened this year that Paris, my life there, the people I met, and the places I visited all seem so far away. The longer I'm away, the more I miss it, the more I miss the people, and the traveling. About a month ago in church we were singing a song that I remembered we sang at 72 rue de Sèvres fairly often, and I realized that I couldn't remember the words in French. My heart sunk. I miss worshiping in French with the church family there. 

So now I'm back living at home. I am looking for a job. Fun times. I'm doing my best to enjoy the time I have right now, as I don't currently need to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I'm thankful for that. However, I was talking with someone the other day and they put words to a large part of my frustration: It's a lack of purpose and direction. Every other year that I've come home, I've looked for a summer job, and looked forward to school again in the fall. Right now I don't have school to look forward to, I don't have a job to look forward to (yet). It's frustrating. But like I said, I'm trying to enjoy my time living at home (not living in a basement), having a river basically in my front yard, and a beautiful backyard. 

How have I been enjoying this?

1. Reading books - I know I love books, but I don't read much during the school year, and for some reason I start putting my computer before books. Bad choice. So this week I've been reading novels, and absolutely loving it. Also, reading outside on a beautiful day is just plain awesome!

2. Photography - My parents shared some inheritance money they received after Oma died in January, and I bought myself a new camera. I have been slowly getting to know it, and we're beginning to be friends. I have a lot more to learn, but it's a start. Between the camera and some editing software, I have lots of learning to do. I thought I'd share some photos from this week.




Love lilacs so much!




Calm, foggy morning on the river.

These ships are a regular sighting here, but the fog & reflection made it extra-cool!



Loving the bleeding hearts!


So this is a new part of "this becoming" - I'm becoming increasingly interested in photography, and I look forward to continuing to explore this new hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment